Saturday, January 14, 2006

One reason pain sucks, and yet, can be productive.

So today was a good day. I got to sleep in, and then we took A-man to the children's discovery museum. When we first walked in it seemed a bit devoid of everything but kids. By this, I mean that if you took out the hundreds of kids and their parents (rainy day) it would seem kind of sparse. After about five minutes of walking around with our little smarty pants, I realized that if it had any more stuff in it that kids would start to pop. A-man, of course, adored the real ambulance and fire engine. He ended up having a nice two-year old crying moment over being dragged away from the "toss the ball down the big funnel" exhibit. What WAS there was just SO stimulating, any more would have had us all in tears.

We grabbed some take-out pizza, and headed home. Well, first I popped into a place next door to the pizza shop for a stupid-tax ticket. I swear I'll win one of these days! The people behind me [a worn and weathered man and a little girl] were buying a flask of apricot brandy, jerky, a magazine, and too much candy. What a life. When we got home A-man was down for his nap, but singing his little sleepy song. The rest of the gang ran off to buy super cool furniture, and I stayed behind. I put on a cheesy movie after determining that fixing the dining room chairs was making WAY too much noise. After about an hour this tiny, plaintive voice said, " I need miwk. I need miwk. I need miwk. Help please. Help please. Help please." I figured A-man was going to be hungry, as he'd had a light lunch. I thought that was perhaps why he wasn't sleeping. I fixed the milk situation, changed a poopy diaper, and we went through the usual reading stories/pre-nap routine. It may all have been a ploy to avoid nap time, but I really wanted to encourage him to ask for help when he needs it. Either way, half an hour later he was asleep. I sat down to finish my movie.

About fifteen minutes before the gang got home, I got cold and cranked the heat on high. It had just finished warming up as I watched the last few seconds of my movie. Well, the gang burst in and freaked out/started complaining about how hot it was. B was especially grumpy, and proceeded to give me the cold shoulder/passive aggressive how dare you turn the heat up treatment. When I asked him if he was mad at me, he was silent, then stared at me, and then mumbled, "no." [Read, "Yes."] He refused to talk to me about it, which in turn pissed me off so much I decided to leave. Now, we don't fight often, and I adore and respect him, so when things do get sour, I feel awful. At the same time, I get mad when I feel awful when I haven't done anything. As it turns out, B has been in back-pain land all day. I choose to chalk up his general bad humor to that, but I hope next time we can work things out in a more adult manner. The good thing that came out of it, was that I got so mad (had been having bad thoughts about my life all day lurking in the back of my mind) that I cried all the way back to the other house, and half way to the grocery store. Now, those that know me, know I don't cry almost ever. I do think, however, that a good cry is an excellent way to flush the system, so to speak. It brings a certain clarity. Today it was my silver lining. Enough said.

No comments: