Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Another pin in the map.

I got back from Portland tonight, and I am pooped, but think I should get some of this typed out.

First, as always, I had a great time with Jillo. I think we wore each other out (two crazy women on different times zones...one a morning person, the other one not...one on vacation, the other one hard at work and in the midst of a revolution of thought about where to work and live). I just hope she'll get some rest and the work doesn't prove to exhausting.

I like Portland. It has some great old houses, cool shops and restaurants, and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. It rained and rained and rained. Now, I don't mind rain, but I also like my sunshine. I quizzed just about everyone I could find about it. They are having a heavy rain winter, but not THAT heavy. :-) I am very interested to see what it is like there in the summer, as everyone agreed it is great. We checked out several of the shopping options (boy, that Xmas money doesn't last long!), and ate some great food. Portland is a "dress casual" for dining place, which is nice. I also got to use their public transport system. It was good, however the distances there are MUCH longer than SF, so things took longer and were a bit more expensive. Had good dinner and conversation with Dr. and Mr. Portland. It was SO nice to finally meet her, and she was SO nice! Makes me happy. I also took some time today to go to the traditional Chinese garden that they built five years ago. It is small, but VERY nice (really wanted the FILM camera as my digi took awful photos of it :-(). It is a lovely place to go in the rain, as water plops in the pond and dribbles off the tile roofs. I made my way around to the tea house. I was cold and wet, and when I walked in everything was warm and smelled like honey. It was perfect and I'm so glad I went. It didn't hurt there was a handsome smile served up with my most excellent tea (you can get some for yourself here.) After the only other couple in the place left, Mr. Tooyoung and I talked for almost an hour. I was compelled to, as I love getting to know people, but I also firmly believe tea should come with conversation (if available). It was a nice end to my visit, but I miss Jillo already. Must sleep now.

No comments: