Saturday, September 13, 2008

What will the new story be?

Well, of course, it can't really be a NEW story. Stories can only be written from a particular knowledge base or set of experiences. The future is always informed by the past. So, what I am really attempting to do is refine and edit.

I want to find a career that I can find satisfying, both emotionally and financially. I have to admit, saying this at my age feels a bit silly. I'm shocked at how blind I can be to my inner workings. I'm trying to come up with the answer to the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I am taking tests, and making lists. I was explaining it to a friend at lunch yesterday, and he said, "so you want a job as an Explainer." YES! I want a job as an explainer. Preferably explaining something to people that makes them want to protect and conserve the environment.

I want to have a clean and tidy home. I'm going through boxes, totally disgusted with the concept of junk mail.

I want a mate. I had a four month black-out from Mr. Urbane. It helped. I'm looking around, wondering what my options are. Learning to go ahead and speak up if something catches my eye.

I need a bigger social circle. I'm reaching out, getting out, hoping the money doesn't run out.

I'm feeling good, and will feel better when the house is clean and sorted. Even better when I'm making money.

Refine and edit. Do what I want to do. Yeah.

2 comments:

Ross said...

What about being an environmental lobbyist? Aren't lobbyists essentially professional "explainers" that help get things done?

Also would inherently open up your social circle.

Lauren said...

There's a lot of money in green right now, so this is good timing! Maybe you just needed to wait for the world to catch up to you and create the type of job you want!